Hashtags

Everybody knows what it is, I’m not going to explain it to you, do I?

Basically, I confess, this is not the kind of article I wanted to do… But due to lack of time and unsuccessful research, I had to change the angle.

The hashtag is a kind of tag that will help the algorithm to understand the kind of content you publish. It also helps users to find your publications.

Your hashtags still need to be relevant and put to good use. Don’t forget that they are keywords. We tend to hang the most popular ones: mistake! Because the more a hashtag is used the more your publications will be drowned.

Another thing, there is no precise number of these hashtags. If you put only one (like me), it might be reduced but if you put 1000 (I’m exaggerating!), it’s not ideal either and it can end up as spam. What we’ve found in 10 years of time is that people generally use an average of 10 to 20 hashtags. But it’s up to you to put more or less. My advice is to use all kinds of keywords well related to your publication, popular and less popular ones.

To sum up, hashtags allow social networks to better rank your publications. But they also, and perhaps most importantly, allow you to have more engagement with followers and thus build a strong community.

Comments